Soldiers & Sailors Park Brief History

The oldest traditional park in Monroe County, it was created in 1909 through the efforts of the Civic Improvement Society of Monroe, an extraordinary women’s group that existed from 1901-1914. Located on East Front Street along the River Raisin, Soldiers & Sailors Park was renamed that on June 13, 1923. It previously was called Riverside Park. The renaming came a week before the Custer statue was moved from Loranger Square to the park where it remained until 1955. The statue is a Civil War monument that depicts General George Custer at the epic Battle of Gettysburg where he won national fame. At the park there is also a small marker mounted on a rock that is dedicated to Monroe Post #76, Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) which was a national veterans organization for Civil War veterans. Post #76 was based in Monroe and had over 100 members and was organized in 1882. The Civil War produced more county casualties than any other conflict in American history both nationally and locally. At least 436 county men died in that war from 1861-1865. There is also a WWI concrete monument in the park that was erected in 1929 by the Monroe American Legion Post 60 Auxiliary. It has largely deteriorated over the years because of being constructed of concrete. It traditionally has had a large star painted on it similar to the emblem of the American Legion. A major monument is planed to be erected in the park sometime during the sesquicentennial anniversary years of the Civil war of 2011-2015

Custer statue standing in Soldiers and Sailors Park looking East. – Photo Undated

Custer statue standing in Soldiers and Sailors Park looking West. – Photo Undated